- Create a block of time designated for practicing every day.
- Have a practice routine: Start with exercises/scales then move on to repertoire.
- Don't just play through pieces! Pick the sections that you are having trouble with and work them out. You can do a
"Play through" at the end of your practice session.
- Two words----> SLOW PRACTICE! This is probably the most important tip. If you cannot play a passage slowly, you cannot play it fast. Practice difficult passages with a metronome at half speed and as you become more comfortable with the music, work your way up to tempo.
- Practice chord changes slowly. Start by giving yourself 4 beats to complete the change (practice the changes at a faster pace as you become more comfortable with them).
- Practice with a metronome! You will be given metronome markings for all of your music.
- Practice something fun. Playing music should be enjoyable. In between practicing difficult passages, play something that you enjoy! It makes working out the hard stuff that much easier.