Instructor: Mrs. Jessica Nash
Google Classroom Code: ________
Work Phone: 914-257-5800 ext.6833
Class Room: B4
In this course students will learn how to use basic drawing, painting, collage, printmaking and electronic media . Art history and criticism will incorporated throughout the course.
Essential Question for the Course:
What is the artistic process and how does awareness of this process aid in the development of personal expression?
Learning Outcomes for the Course:
Students will form expressions of their artistic intentions without predetermining the final product. Artists can produce a drawing that stands alone as a final product, but it might also become absorbed by a painting, or perhaps even destroyed in the course of a painting’s completion. This is how the artistic process works and students will learn to work through this process in through their own explorations.
Course Outline (Units)
- Tribal Art & Line
- Drawing Building Blocks
- Pop Art & People
- Letter Design
- Impressionist Painting styles
- Digital Silhouette photography
- 1 pt Perspective
- Surrealist Collage
- Passion Posters
- Shape Sculptures
This course is a project based course and a variety of assessments for student work will be utilized including, class, peer, and self-critiques along with written statements, reflections, research papers, and project rubrics. Late work is -5pts per day and will not be accepted after one week.
- Projects: (100pts) For each project based on the rubric below
- Sketchbook: (50pts) per semester. All notes for assignments as well as project ideas should be recorded, handouts should be kept in class folder.
- “Studio Habits of Mind” (50pts)-Harvard Project Zero (25pts) per semester. Develop craft & skills, engage and persist, envision, express, observe, reflect, stretch & explore, understand the world.
Project rubric below:
Project Evaluation Scale:
1. Not Satisfactory (weak in idea and image)
2. Needs work and could be brought up to standard with more time and effort.
4. Well done (Put in finished work cubby)
5. Exceptional in all aspects (Put in finished work cubby)
100 95 90% 89 85 80% 79 75 70% 69 65 60% 59 55 50%
5 4 3 2 1
Conceptual strength/ Originality: Unusual combinations and connections to previous knowledge,
Use of materials/ Craftsmanship: Outstanding problem solving skills, beautifully and patiently done.
Realization/ Intent evident: Finished product shows evidence of careful planning and awareness of elements/principles of design.
Evidence of “Studio Habits of Mind” Several sketches made, explored new approaches, followed through in commitments. Completed on time.
Required Materials: (DUE FRI 9/27)
- 9” x 12” (no smaller!) Sketchbook
- Box of pencils
- Pencil bag
- Be on time and prepared with materials
- Meet project deadlines, if extra time is needed schedule with Mrs.Nash
- Make original works of art. DO NOT plagiarize work
- Use materials appropriately
Most importantly, have fun and be kind in Art!!!