What CLOSE READERS Do
Close Readers Do These Things:
- Read small chunks of text slowly and think about the gist.
- Reread each passage one sentence at a time.
- Underline things that you understand or know something about.
- Circle words that you do not know.
- Talk with your partner(s) about all of your good ideas.
- State the gist or message of the paragraph in the margin (annotate)
- Listen to the questions.
- Go back to the text to find answers to questions.
- Talk with your partners about the answers you find.