Reading Tips For Parents
Here are some things you can do at home to help your child become a better, more confident reader:
- Take a "picture walk" through a book. Look closely at the illustrations and make predictions. Become familiar with the book prior to reading.
- Read for meaning. Ask questions such as: "Does that make sense?", "Does it sound right?" , "Does it look right?", "Could you try that again?", "What do you see in the picture? Are there any clues that would help you?", and "Think about the story. What word would make sense here?"
- Using the context, make a sensible guess for unfamiliar words.
- Look at the first letter of the word and use the context to help figure out the meaning.
- Use your phonics clues. "Can you sound it out?"
- Ask someone for help. "Is there someone who can help you with that word?"